Friday, October 9, 2009

San Diego - Day 4 - Coronado Island

After a couple of days of too much walking around, we decided to take a day off and relax at the beach. We headed over the bridge to Coronado Island...which held two highlights for me - the Hotel Del Coronado and the Naval Amphibious Base where the US Navy SEALs are trained!



We began our Coronado day with a walk through the Del. It's seriously the most gorgeous hotel I've ever seen and now, having actually stepped foot in it...one of my new goals in life is to actually stay there on a romantic weekend with Scott! If you've never heard of the Hotel Del Coronado, you should google it and read about it's architecture and history.





We ate lunch on the patio deck at the Del.







Here are the girls with the famous Del red roof turrets in the background



I hate to knock my beloved Gulf Coast...but HOLY MOLY!...what a beach they have there! Next to the Caribbean, it's the most beautiful beach I've seen. The water is a bit chilly, but the shallow part of the water is a pretty blue-green shade and there is a gold glitter to the sand that is stunning. The girls LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the beach. We couldn't keep them out of the water. It was a great day!



Our Baywatch Beauties





If you look closely at this next picture, you'll see a line of young men running to and from the beach...these are Navy SEAL trainees getting "wet and sandy" during Bud/s training. My Navy SEAL obsession started last summer when my old trainer had me do a Navy SEAL inspired workout program...in fact, this program got me swimming (much to my initial protests) which then led to my triathlon training....



Anyway, since that program, I've read several books about Navy SEALs, watched documentaries, and even was able to meet Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell of the book Lone Survivor fame. So actually being able to see them training (though from a mandated distance) was a real treat for me!



We had dinner that evening at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza in the Gas Lamp District in Downtown.
It was a great meal and a fun atmosphere on the sidewalk. Check out the "Messy Sundae" that Scott and I split after dinner! And no...we didn't finish it!


























































1 comment:

Lisa Henley Jones said...

How awesome was that getting to see Navy Seals in training! Meeting Marcus Luttrell is still something I talk about. He was so inspiring. You must have loved being so close to their training and getting to see them get Wet and Sandy.